Thursday, August 15, 2013

DVD Review: Extreme Rules 2013



I make it no secret that I dislike WWE and I haven’t seen one of their shows since Elimination Chamber this year. My friend was very kind and got me a copy of Extreme Rules 2013 on DVD so I thought I’d review it for all of you here.

YouTube Preshow Match
1. Cody Rhodes vs. The Miz

There was little to this match. I did like the chain of reversals there for a minute but it was nothing like the classic between Richards and Elgin, I tell you that! Both men didn’t really get much time at all for this match. Well at least you didn’t had to pay to watch it. Miz won with a horrible looking Figure Four Leg Lock.

**

The DVD starts out with a cool video package to hype you up for the show.

2. Chris Jericho vs. Fandango

This was actually a good match. Fun opener. It’s great seeing the Lionsult return. Jericho wins after catching Fandango mid air with a code breaker!

***

WWE United States Championship
3. Kofi Kingston vs. Dean Ambrose

This was very fun short match. I think Kofi is super underrated. The man is super exciting to watch. I think he just needs to get a new gimmick or something to freshen him up. And Dean Ambrose is great. I hate that Michael Cole ignored everything he did before WWE and wondered how’d he do in a singles contest. He could have worded it different asking how he’d fair against a WWE wrestler in singles competition but maybe that’s just asking too much. Well anything match was very fun to watch but short.

***

Strap Match
4. Sheamus vs. Mark Henry

I’m going to admit there were some cool spots in this match and the light deal they had on the turnbuckle was cool too. Problem is that this match was a bore. I guess they didn’t work too much drama into a match with a few weeks build. Sheamus won.

**

I Quit Match
5. Jack Swagger vs. Alberto Del Rio

I know a whole lot of people complained about the replay deal but I thought it was a good idea. Cole even did his job right and said it was because it for a shot at The World Title. It could have gone longer but I think them allowing Swagger’s arm to bleed added to drama of the match. Another good match on this show.

***

WWE Tag Team Championship
Texas Tornado Tag Team Match
6. Team Hell No vs. The Shield

Another really fun match.  Again it went short but it was fun. Post-match The Shield all celebrated.

***

Extreme Rules
7. The Big Show vs. Randy Orton

This match was nothing special though Orton’s hometown crowd was really behind him. This should have been a lot better.

**

WWE Championship
Last Man Standing Match
8. Ryback vs. John Cena

Let me start by saying I hate what WWE did with Ryback. They had someone who could have been money but they threw it all away. I don’t understand why he needed to turn heel or why he needed to be the cookie cutter chicken shit heel that’s now standard in WWE. You could have had him be a tweener and that would have been perfect.

For the match itself I was disappointed. I thought we’d get a match of the night with the time they got but it was boring until the closing moments. John Cena did a good job of selling his injury but only made one spot for it! I guess Cena doing a 5/6 foot dive was kind of cool. Normally I’d bitch that The World Title match needs to go last but with a bullshit finish it’s a good idea to keep it from the main event. This match was a real let down.

**

Steel Cage Match
9. Brock Lesner vs. Triple H

Wow! WWE booked this match so ass backwards! You’re supposed to have the babyface be in peril. I don’t know what the hell that was all about. Yeah they did a good job centering the match on Brock’s bad knee but again he’s not the babyface here! I thought I was supposed to be cheering for Triple H and waiting for a huge comeback from him but I guess his damn ego got in the way and we ended up getting a heel in peril instead.

This match was another let down. I didn’t even care to see it to be honest. A lot of interference form Haymen. Triple H had a sledge hammer hidden on the top of a cage. And a lot of screaming from Brock Lesner. I guess we need to try and get Triple H more over.

**

Watching this made me glade I took long break from watching WWE after The Rock won The WWE Championship. This was just a skipable show. Anyone who was saying WWE was better than Ring of Honor or New Japan Pro Wrestling was delusional or dishonest. Things are picking up though and I will be watching SummerSlam this weekend.

A lot of the matches on this show were good. The problem is the main event matches failed to deliver and I don't think anyone needs to go out of their way to watch this entire show. If you can find some of these matches alone watch them. I just wouldn't recommend buying this show as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment